Human Allergies to Pet Rats
Looking for a pet that doesn't make you cough and sneeze? You will need to choose one without any fur or feathers, like a fish, turtle, or snake. However, if you are keeping a cute little fellow like your pet rat, you are prone to allergies.
Rats produce three types of allergens: dander (dead skin cells), saliva and urine.
Contrary to popular belief, rat fur does not cause allergies nevertheless, fur contact with elements such as urine or saliva which end up drying up on their skin, in the long run, is what causes allergies.
While it’s a sad fact that some people are allergic to pet rats, there are at least a few things we can do to help reduce or not eliminate allergy symptom
If you or a family member has allergic reactions to your pet rats, here are the top three things you can do:
- Reduce contact:
If you are allergic but love your pet too much, you can still spend time with pet rats as long as precautions are put in place. Here are some tips which would be helpful for those who develop skin reactions such as hives and rashes after touching rats
- Ensure you wear clothing that covers your skin
- Ensure you wear either cotton, gardening gloves, or fingerless gloves.
- Abstain from rubbing your eyes while with pet rats, especially after touching them.
- Change your clothes immediately after being with rats. Launder them right away.
- Wash your hands, arms, neck, and any other part of your body every time you interact with your pet rat.
- Keep your rats in a room as far away as possible from where you sleep.
- Bath your pet rats weekly. You can do this by using baby shampoo.
- Clean More:
- Ensure you wear a surgical mask while cleaning to reduce the possibility of you inhaling allergens.
- Ensure you replace anything soiled in your rat's home with new and fresh items.
- If allergies persist, get someone without allergies to change everything in their cage daily whether or not it’s soiled.
- Ensure you use cloth beddings like rats. Cotton T-shirts, fleece blankets, and sheets.
- Use adequate medication:
We would like to suggest you use the following medication.
Please note that you can purchase any of the listed medication here
This medication is essential for your rat. Drs Bioplus is one dried probiotic to consider when looking to support your pet's digestive system. It essentially helps to restore beneficial bacteria to your rat's gut and conditions the gut to make it more favourable for friendly bacteria. It contains garlic extract, vitamins, minerals, electrolytes and glucose polymers.
When used twice a week, Drs Bioplus ensures a healthy gut flora and helps improve your pet's resistance to gut infections.
This is a convenient pack of biodegradable, single-use wipes impregnated with F10SC for an instant clean-up and disinfection. F10 Disinfection Wipes are effective against bacteria, fungi, and viruses. It contains the F10SC disinfectant which impregnates the wipes at a 1:100 dilution, a dilution proven effective against the most resistant
F10 disinfectant wipes are highly effective, non-irritant, and non-corrosive so they can be effectively and frequently used on surfaces and equipment. They are also mild on the skin and can be used for hand decontamination when washing facilities are unavailable.
- F10 Hand Gel
F10 Hand Gel is a ready-to-use, low-alcohol, waterless hand sanitizer, for hand decontamination when a wash-basin is unavailable or for frequent use ‘on the go’.
It is effective against bacterial, fungal, and viral pathogens including enveloped viruses such as coronavirus, circovirus (PBFD), and parvovirus.
We hope you found this helpful. Click here to check out rat essentials for your pet.